If you are interesting in training as a nurse, there are a number of skills which are essential to your role. Here is our rundown of the top skills you will need to be an excellent nurse!
- Listening and communication skills: you will need to converse with a wide range of people, from patients to doctors and surgeons each day
- Caring: obviously it is important that you care for the wellbeing of others
- Judgement: it is important that nurses can make quick judgements on how to care for people, especially as the cases they deal with can mean the difference between life and death!
- Teaching/advising: lots of nurses have other staff working “below” them, so they need to be able to teach skills to other staff
- Counselling: nurses have to face difficult situations when it comes to health, and dealing with upsetting issues is an important skill
- Management: time management, people management, drugs management, nurses do it all!